Recently during a service at Caju church, it was announced that the following Friday (the most violent night of the week in Caju) would be the “midnight---take it to the streets” evangelism event. The congregation cheered for this, even though it is a monthly event! Many raised their hands indicating that they would participate!
The following Friday we arrived at the church and there were approximately 40 people ready to go. We began with time in the Word, followed by intense prayer. Then, we were off to proclaim the Good News! Craig and I went out in a small group that included a 50-year-old woman and Lucas, a 13-year-old young boy. I was so impressed with Lucas. I learned that he is in a small discipleship group with some buddies, and he has a faithful and strong walk with the Lord. Lucas’ mother left him, his dad is seldom at home, and his aunt and uncle care for him. You would never guess that he comes from a broken home---the church is his family!
We ventured deep into this tough neighborhood, sharing with many as we walked. Soon we entered the area where drugs are sold. There were young boys delivering drugs and protecting the area. Some were on motorcycles flying back and forth. Some were standing in strategic places with machine guns and looking agitated. We shared with many of these young boys and prayed for some as well. We stopped often to pray for Jesus to bring His power through his Spirit.
We finished the night by meeting the drug lord. He was a huge man with a huge gun! Pastor Fabio shared with us that he has been meeting with this man to encourage him of the hope that he can have in a life with Christ. The church surrounded this man and prayed over him. He thanked us and left---carrying his big gun. As I left that evening, I was reminded that this is their everyday world. But Jesus is changing this place, one “Lucas” at a time.
The following Friday we arrived at the church and there were approximately 40 people ready to go. We began with time in the Word, followed by intense prayer. Then, we were off to proclaim the Good News! Craig and I went out in a small group that included a 50-year-old woman and Lucas, a 13-year-old young boy. I was so impressed with Lucas. I learned that he is in a small discipleship group with some buddies, and he has a faithful and strong walk with the Lord. Lucas’ mother left him, his dad is seldom at home, and his aunt and uncle care for him. You would never guess that he comes from a broken home---the church is his family!
We ventured deep into this tough neighborhood, sharing with many as we walked. Soon we entered the area where drugs are sold. There were young boys delivering drugs and protecting the area. Some were on motorcycles flying back and forth. Some were standing in strategic places with machine guns and looking agitated. We shared with many of these young boys and prayed for some as well. We stopped often to pray for Jesus to bring His power through his Spirit.
We finished the night by meeting the drug lord. He was a huge man with a huge gun! Pastor Fabio shared with us that he has been meeting with this man to encourage him of the hope that he can have in a life with Christ. The church surrounded this man and prayed over him. He thanked us and left---carrying his big gun. As I left that evening, I was reminded that this is their everyday world. But Jesus is changing this place, one “Lucas” at a time.
Walking in faith,
Jeff
No comments:
Post a Comment